Reminders and updates for the end of the transition period

Hillier Hopkins LLP

Chartered Accountants & Tax Advisers

Call +44 (0)330 024 3200 and discover how we can help you.

This is the second of our countdown to customs updates, helping you get ready for 1 January 2021. This week we have important deadlines approaching for road hauliers and those moving goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Plus changes for overseas sellers and financial service providers. Take action today and get in touch for more help and support.

Reminder for road hauliers – ECMT permit deadline – 20 November 2020

From 1 January 2021, road hauliers will need an ECMT (European Conference of Ministers of Transport) permit to transport goods or drive or drive an empty lorry in the EU. This needs to be applied for before 20 November 2020. To find out what an ECMT permit is and if you need one, read more.

Reminder for GB-NI traders – Trader Support Service deadline – 23 November 2020

From 1 January 2021 the new Northern Ireland protocol comes into play which brings changes for those moving goods between Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You will need to sign up to the Trader Support Service before 23 November 2020 in order to make sure your business is allocated a registration number which is a requirement as of 1 January 2021. If you miss this deadline you may not be able to move goods between these 2 countries. To sign up for the Trader Support Service click here or for more guidance and information contact our friendly expert Ruth Corkin and she’ll be happy to help.

New rules for overseas sellers

Overseas sellers of goods to UK consumers will have new rules to follow from 1 January 2021. If the goods are sold via a marketplace (i.e. B2B supply) and the marketplace is deemed to make the supply to the consumer and may be liable to VAT and duty. The marketplace will need to account for and pay the VAT and duty. However, if you sell direct to the consumer as an overseas seller, you will be deemed to make the supply to the consumer and will need to register for VAT in the UK. Please contact us if you need assistance with registering for VAT or need to know what our marketplace will require from you.

Partial exemption changes for financial services

From 1 January 2021, UK providers of most financial services will be able to recover the input tax on supplies made to recipients outside the UK, rather than outside the EU as is the case now. This will mean changes to your partial exemption position. Please contact us if you require further guidance or assistance.

To book a free consultation with our customs experts call +44 (0)330 024 3200 or email

Do you need extra information?

Ruth Corkin - Prinicipal - VAT and Indirect Tax Advisory at Hillier Hopkins

Ruth has been involved with VAT for over 30 years. She started her VAT career as a Customs and Excise Officer in Essex and then moved into consultancy with a variety of well-known accountancy firms. She is well known in the VAT world and is the proud author of many articles and technical works.

Contact Ruth at or on +44 (0)1908 713860

Based at the following office - Milton Keynes, Watford and London