Our VAT team have a deep understanding of the rules and how to apply them in areas such as land and property, international trade, business acquisitions and disposals. We provide reassurance that your VAT position is accurate and offer you simple and cost efficient solutions to your VAT issues.
Our VAT expertise
VAT Indirect Tax Principal, Ruth Corkin heads up our VAT team and has more than 30 years’ experience in VAT and customs & excise. She also sits on a number of committees and advisory groups including the Board of the International VAT Association, and was also an advisor to the Government on the Northern Ireland Protocol. Ruth Corkin sits on the Land & Property liaison group with HMRC and is currently taking part in the consultation on Zero rating.
- Supply chain advisory to help improve efficiency and reduce costs
- Importing and postponed VAT accounting in other countries
- EU VAT refunds – Changes due to Brexit is causing major problems for many businesses. Many are being charged VAT incorrectly and the number of claims are increasing as a result. EU VAT reclaims are subject to limits and deadlines so getting advice from an expert is strongly recommended. We can help you put a processes in place to maximise reclaims.
We also have a dedicated customs team who offer a wide range of customs advisory services and can process import and export declarations. Visit our dedicated page to find out more.
Land and property VAT
- Assistance with the new Domestic Reverse Charge – Many businesses are experiencing problems identifying the end user and some are being incorrectly charged VAT. We can help you identify whether your service is covered and provide documentation to satisfy suppliers and customers. If you are not currently registered in the Construction Industry Scheme we can help you identify whether you should be and the best way forward for your business.
- Advice for developers – Advisory on the VAT treatment of a proposed development. Assistance with opting to tax, when you can and can’t and the impact on VAT.
- Assistance with claims to HMRC – Covid has had an impact on many businesses such as golf clubs meaning that average VAT recoveries of 20-30% are now down to 5-6%. We can assist you in putting a temporary alternative method to HMRC in order to increase your recoveries through this challenging period.
VAT is often an afterthought when going through a corporate restructure, however, the impact of VAT can be significant and difficult to reverse. We can help to make sure the VAT impact of any restructure is properly considered and advise you on the most VAT efficient options.
We offer bespoke VAT training for your team covering UK and/or Irish VAT. We can design a full or half day training for your finance, procurement, sales, commercial or contracts staff., tailored to your individual company requirements.
Providing day to day advice and assistance on VAT matters:
- Negotiating with HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf – for example we can help with “time to pay” due to Covid.
- Planning and technical support to in-house tax managers
- Structuring transactions to minimise VAT
- VAT health checks
Indirect tax expertise