How do I pay staff?

Hillier Hopkins LLP

Chartered Accountants & Tax Advisers

Call +44 (0)330 024 3200 and discover how we can help you.

All businesses that take on staff and pay them more than the lower earnings limit currently £123 per week, £6,396 a year, will need to process a payroll and submit the information via an RTI (Real Time Information) submission.

Employers are required to keep comprehensive payroll records of salary paid and deductions – income tax, national insurance and any student loans, payments made to the HMRC, employee leave / sickness absences, tax code notices. Online accounting software, such as Xero can make this much easier

For small businesses, with less than nine employees, HMRC provides an online PAYE tool that is free to use – But a word of caution – its functionality is very basic and suitable only for small businesses.

Taking on new members of staff is a key stage in the growth of any business. It is a step that brings new responsibilities and obligations, not least of which to those employees and to HMRC.

The first step for any business taking on staff with pay over the lower earnings limit is to register with HMRC. This can be done online at

If an individual is joining your business from another employer, they will need to provide a P45 form, usually available from their previous employer. If they do not have a P45, the new member of staff will need to complete a ‘New starter declaration form/starter checklist’ (historically known as a P46), easily obtained from HMRC. These forms simply provide information on the employees personal details and which statement applies to them, helping an employer to determine the correct tax code to place them on.

The ‘New starter declaration form/starter checklist’ form can be completed online

Where an employer is unsure which take code to apply to an employee, employers can easily work out the correct code via a helpful HMRC online tool, found at

If for any reason the wrong tax code is used, an Employer will not penalised – HMRC will simply inform you of the correct tax code to use and any corrections to tax due once the first RTI submission has been completed.


Employers are legally required to give employees a payslip before or on their pay date. Payslips must include the date of pay, the gross amount, PAYE deductions, National Insurance contribitions, and the amount of any additional deductions, including student loan and pension contributions.


Any current employee working for an employer on 5th April must be given a P60 – this needs to be with an employee by the 31st May, on paper or electronically.


You must submit an end-of-year report (P11d) to HMRC for each employee you’ve provided with expenses or benefits in the tax year ending 5 April – for example a company car, you must submit your report before 6th July

Payroll can quickly become complicated when a business starts to employ more people particularly when introducing things like workplace benefits. It is recommended that you speak to your accountant or a payroll professional for help and support.

Find out about our fully managed payroll service here or contact our experts below.

Subscribe to our Newsletter