How do I recover foreign EU VAT?

Hillier Hopkins LLP

Chartered Accountants & Tax Advisers

Call +44 (0)330 024 3200 and discover how we can help you.

All UK VAT registered companies are entitled to recover VAT they have suffered in each of the other 27 member states. There are specific conditions which may affect the recoverability of the VAT suffered, these are based on the purpose and type of expenses incurred. These rules vary for each member state and have been outlined in our information leaflets below.

The claim must be submitted electronically to HMRC by 30 September of the year following to the year over which the VAT was suffered. However, the Dutch authorities have extended the period for which a claim can be submitted, in respect of any Dutch VAT suffered, up to 5 years.

In conclusion, this provides a great opportunity for anyone who failed to submit a EU VAT refund their Dutch VAT suffered between 2011-2015 to make a belated claim to recover the VAT suffered.

To find out more, call us on +44 (0)330 024 3200, and talk to one of our business tax experts.

Download PDF

Subscribe to our Newsletter