Making Tax Digital

Supporting you through the transition

Hillier Hopkins LLP

Chartered Accountants & Tax Advisers

Call +44 (0)330 024 3200 and discover how we can help you.

Making Tax Digital is a significant change to the way we file our VAT. Since 1 April 2019, most businesses that are VAT registered and make taxable supplies over £85,000 have had to keep digital VAT records and submit their VAT returns using MTD compatible software.

Making Tax Digital extended to April 2022

Making Tax Digital will apply all VAT registered traders for VAT periods starting on and after 1 April 2022. If you are not sure what to do next, there are a number of options for businesses depending on your situation and preferences. Our MTD Checker has been created to help you understand whether you are affected and offer you some solution ideas.

VAT Controller bridging software

VAT Controller gives you a fast and simple way to file your VAT returns. It is easy to use and affordable with a choice of options to suit you. Fully MTD compliant and HMRC tested.

Download our VAT Controller pdf and prices

Make sure you sign up for MTD at the right time

HMRC closes the signup system to ensure that any direct debits are transferred across in time to make a payment for the VAT return.

You should sign up for MTD between the 8th and 23rd of any month to ensure that you are not trying to sign up in the close down period. To make sure you allow for any problems or delays, it’s best to start the sign up process as early as possible in the VAT return period you need to file your return for.

See the full step by step process.


How do I claim back tax?

What taxes does a business pay when employing staff?

What Taxes Does a Business Have to Pay on its Trading Activities?

What is the CITB Levy for Construction Activities?

What are SDLT Grazing Rights?

Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) saving opportunities

What is all this about an on-line tax account I have read about?

What is research and development tax relief?

I have just started a business, do I need to complete a tax return?

Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT): Q&A

What are SDLT opportunity knocks?

What are mixed-use and multiple dwellings relief?

What expenses can I claim as a residential landlord?

What’s the best way to incentivise staff?

Does my business qualify for EIS or SEIS?

What is Land Remediation Relief?

What are the benefits for having Electric vehicles?

What are taxable employment benefits and expenses?

What is the Apprenticeship Levy?

What are Trivial Benefits?

How are the research and development guidelines applied to software?

What is research and development and which costs qualify?

How do I reduce my company’s tax bills for R&D?

Does my business qualify for the Patent Box scheme?

What is the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS)?

What is Business asset roll over relief?

How do Enterprise Management Incentives (EMI) work?

What is EIS (Enterprise Investment Scheme)?

How can I claim Capital Allowances on properties?

What is Annual Tax on Enveloped Dwellings (“ATED”)?

I want to do business overseas, but it all looks so complicated?

Is it a good idea to buy a property within my company?

Can you help me agree a payment plan for corporation tax?

Why am I paying tax quarterly?

Is my company paying too much tax?

Subscribe to our Newsletter

    Subscribe to our Newsletter