Stamp duty land tax

Making sure you don't overpay

Hillier Hopkins LLP

Chartered Accountants & Tax Advisers

Call +44(0)330 024 3200 and discover how we can help you.

Many people are unaware their property purchases qualify for a relief. We can make sure you don’t pay too much SDLT and help you reclaim if you have already made an overpayment.

Reliefs are available to first time buyers, multiple home owners and even those buying a property within a business. If you are planning to, or have previously bought property that is dilapidated; has multiple dwellings or out-houses; or consists of a mix of residential and business use, it is likely that are reliefs and savings available. One of the most common reliefs that we assist people with is Multiple Dwellings Relief (MDR) which can provide significant SDLT savings.

How it works

  • We carry out an initial assessment to establish whether your transaction is likely to qualify for relief – this part is free of charge
  • You’ll receive a report detailing the SDLT treatment of your purchase including an illustration of the reliefs available
  • If you have not purchased the property we will assist your conveyancing solicitor with the preparation of the SDLT1 return.
  • If you have already purchased the property, we will apply to HMRC on your behalf to reclaim the overpayment.

Contact our SDLT expert Natasha Heron on +44(0)330 024 3200.

"Impressive in-depth knowledge"

"Natasha Heron had an impressive in-depth knowledge of the tax legislation and her ability to think laterally helped us enormously with our plans for our property. She structured a multiple dwellings relief claim intelligently and came up with smart ways to ensure we qualified for reduced rate VAT on our building project plans. Working with Natasha is a pleasure because you know you’re listening to someone who knows their business inside out and clearly loves helping her clients."
Olly Swanton

Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) saving opportunities

SDLT is often overpaid because taxpayers are unaware of the reliefs available. We have had considerable success saving clients SDLT so they either avoid overpaying or successfully claim a repayment.

By applying our detailed knowledge of the Higher Rate Charge (“HRC”), mixed-use rules, Multiple Dwellings Relief (“MDR”) and non-residential rates for uninhabited properties, we can help you significantly reduce your SDLT bill. Even if you have already overpaid SDLT, we can help you reclaim this from HMRC.

Speak to us if your property was either dilapidated; purchased from the executors of a deceased owner; incorporated an annex or outbuildings; or had a mixture of uses such as a shop with flats above, as these typically qualify for reliefs.  Read our SDLT saving guide

Stamp Duty Land Tax expert