VAT & indirect taxes

Hillier Hopkins LLP

Chartered Accountants & Tax Advisers

Call +44(0)330 024 3200 and discover how we can help you.

As your business changes, VAT planning can offer opportunities to minimise tax and improve cashflow. However, VAT legislation is complex and frequently changing, with far reaching implications for your business.

Our VAT team have a deep understanding of the rules and how to apply them in areas such as land and property, international trade, business acquisitions and disposals. We provide reassurance that your VAT position is accurate and offer you simple and cost efficient solutions to your VAT issues.

Our VAT expertise includes:

  • International trading advice
  • Land and property VAT
  • Negotiating with HM Revenue & Customs on your behalf
  • Partial exemption
  • Planning and technical support to in-house tax managers
  • Structuring transactions to minimise VAT
  • VAT group reorganisations
  • VAT health checks

Our indirect tax expertise includes:

Update – Domestic reverse VAT charge for building and construction services

In 2019 we ran a series of seminars and published guides on introduction of the domestic reverse VAT charge. The start date was postponed until 1 March 2021 due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the construction sector. It is unlikely that this will be postponed again and therefore all VAT registered businesses in the construction sector need to be ready.

If you are an end user or intermediate supplier, it is a legal requirement that you inform your sub-contractors in writing in order to be excluded from the reverse charge. There’s more information about the legislation here.

You may find the following factsheets helpful as they contain more in-depth information on these important changes:

How it works

A guide for developers and owners

A guide for main contractors and sub contractors

Application to Employment bureaux and agencies